Thursday, January 5, 2017
2(28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes with juice or crushed tomatoes.
3 tablespoos olive oil.
6 ounces pancetta or 6 slices bacon, finely chopped.
1/4 ground pork(not lean).
1/4 pound ground beef chuck(not lean).
1/4 pound ground veal.
1 small onion, finely (1 cup).
1 carrot, finely chopped( about 1 cup).
1 cup dry red wine.
1 cup heavy cream.
1 teaspoon kosher salt.
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
1 package small pasta such as orecchiette or rotini.( 16 ounce)
* Garnish ; Freshly grated Parmiagiano-Reggiano Cheese
* If using whole tomatoes, in blender or food processor puree tomatoes with juice.Set aside.
* In large, heavy pot over moderate heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Add pancetta and
saute until golden brown, 5 to6 minutes. Add beef, pork, and veal and saute, breaking up
meat with back of spoon, until browned, 7 to 8 minutes. Add onoin and carrot and saute until
vegetables are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
* Stir in red wine and simmer, scraping un browned bits stuck to bottom of pan,until liquid
is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, cream, salt and pepper. Reduce heat
to moderately low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened
and brick-red in color, approximately 30 minutes.
* In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until almost tender. Drain well and toss with
sauce. Serve with grated cheese.