Thursday, January 2, 2014
Lemon Pesto Turkey Pasta
* 2 eggs (large)
*Zest of one lemon.
*1/2 cup basil pesto.
*1/2 pound of farfalle (bow tie) pasta.
* 1tbsp olive oil.
* 1cup of chopped onion ( about one medium onion).
* 1 clove garlic, minced.
* 2 cups chopped cooked turkey meat/ chicken( leftover turkey thigh meat works great).
* Freshly ground black pepper.
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.Add 1 tbsp of salt for every 2 quarts of water.(While the water
is coming to boil, prep the ingredients to save time).
2.In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, lemon zest and pesto basil.Set aside.
3. Add the pasta to the boiling water. The pasta should take 10 minutes to cook to al dente, cooked through
but still a little firm. Cook on a rolling boil, uncovered.
4.While the pasta is cooking, cook the onions in a large saute pan in olive oil on medium heat until translucent.
Add the garlic and chopped cooked turkey meat. Cook until heated through, then remove from heat.
5. When the pasta is ready, reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta cooking water and drain the pasta.
6. Add the hot, drained pasta to the pan with the onions and turkey. Pour the egg mixture over everything
and quikly stir to combine. The heatof the pasta will cook the eggs sufficiently, though keep the pan off
the heat or the eggs in the sauce will curdle.
7. Salt to taste.Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper to serve ( if you want,sprinkle with a little fresh
lemon juice as well). Add back a little of the reseved pasta water if you want the pasta a little more loose,
or if it is too dry.